i felt very warung yesterday and decided to make use of the chicken in the freezer to make ayam lemak cili padi (chicken in spicy, coconut gravy). this is something you can usually find in small Malay shops in Singapore and Malaysia. i happily dumped in a lotta chillies, the only way to enjoy ayam lemak cili padi.
ayam lemak cili padi
(ayam lemak cili padi on steamed jasmine rice)
- 1 chicken approx 1 – 1.5kg, cut for cooking*
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2.5 tsps ginger, minced/grated
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 stalks lemon grass, middle portions sliced/cut
- 6 cili padi (bird’s eye chillies), sliced
- 3 tbsps sambal oelek
- 3 tbsps canola oil
- 2 cups thick coconut milk + 1 cup fresh milk
- 2 knotted strips of daun pandan/screwpine leaves or a dash of pandan essence
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 1.5 tsps salt
- Rub turmeric on chicken pieces, set aside.
- Pound/grind ginger, onions, lemon grass, chillies, sambal to make paste.
- Heat oil in pot/skillet. Add paste, and stir till cooked.
- Add chicken till almost cooked.
- Add coconut milk + fresh milk, daun pandan, kaffir lime leaves and salt.
*i’d used 4 large chicken wings + cubed boneless, skinless chicken breasts amounting to 1kg
the clouds of Dubai have left. we’re bracing ourselves for the thick heat we’re about to get hit with.