strange things have burst into action all over the world this week.
- 4 tweens got caught having sex in the classroom, and they’re between 11 – 13 years – why can’t they just swoon over Justin Timberlake or Carmen Electra? how did kids get so smart, stupid and horny?
- a tsunami washed over the Solomon Islands, sparing other islands.
- have found a parasite i could artificially inseminate into Ravi so he might start liking cat urine and i might succeed in finalleh getting myself a little kittycat (spot the unhappy rat in the article).
- Keith Richards admitted snorting his dad’s ashes, then said it was a joke.
- Keith isn’t the only one snorting strange things, the Iranian President released UK marines “as a gift”.
- Amelia Earhart could have been found had some officials not dismissed short-wave listeners who heard her distress calls.
- there’s an international cocaine smuggler who’s called The Milkman – because he always delivers. but not for the next 30 years.
- there are websites for people with little to do – you can watch a cheese mature or hens cluck around. youtube, notcot and etsy are good enough for me.
- someone in the world googled “mistress milk testicles”. and somehow, was directed to my blog. imagine my delight at being associated with Mistress Milk Testes
i love life and all its strange, amusing inhabitants. except when people die in tsunamis.
Intan and her parents are visiting from UK this weekend and i’m so excited, i’m gonna organise the mountain of recyclables in the kitchen into cartons which we’ll send off to the Emirates Environmental Group. can’t have them thinking i’m a karang guni (rag-n-bone man) when all i’m trying to do is save a few polar bears from drowning.
i haven’t revised French for weeks and am beginning to see stars in class. Sylvie even caught me falling asleep. this week, i’ll divert her attention from my poor standards and heavy eyelids by asking if i can borrow her Edith Piaf CDs.
my photobook from Sony’s Imagestation hasn’t arrived for more than a month. the first one never got to me (deja vu ala Kawasaki prints) and the second one is floating somewhere over the Atlantic ocean. i’m sticking to Photobox UK from this point on.
purchased two prints from The Black Apple that resonate deep within my heart *tacky facial expression insert*, a girl in a birdcage and a girl who’s stolen my favourite dress and magic wand.
secretly, i want Ravi to be afraid, very, very afraid that i might one day leave him for a girl with dry roots and flaky bark.
today’s dinner: black pepper beef broccoli, sautéed carrots, ginger lime prawns, nasi goreng merah.
black pepper beef broccoli/kailan
- 160gm finely sliced beef
- 4 tbsps oyster sauce
- 2 tbsps soy sauce
- 2 tsps fish sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsps freshly crushed black peppercorns
- 1 cup broccoli/kailan
- 1/4 cup water
- if you like your sauces thick, consider adding cornstarch/flour, we prefer ours drippy
- marinate beef in all ingredients, except greens + water, overnight or at least 2 hours in the fridge.
- steam/boil greens, set aside.
- heat pan, cook marinated beef until marinade is a little reduced, add water. once boiling, add greens, toss. serve.
spicy ginger lime prawns
- 18-20 small prawns
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- juice of two small limes
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp fish sauce
- 3 tsps tomato purée
- marinate prawns in turmeric, chilli powder and lime juice for an hour.
- heat some oil in a pan, toss prawns in pan till opaque, but not overcooked, set aside.
- heat some oil in pan, add ginger till fragrant, then add shallots – cook till translucent, then add chilli powder, soy sauce, fish sauce and tomato purée. when hot, add prawn mixture, toss till cooked. serve.
have been holding off having a 2nd slice of cake, but i think i’ll have one now.